Friday, December 5, 2008

No Fear

I recently had a telephone conversation that affected me deeply. As a parent, I have been humbled many times by the truths I have discovered through the honesty of my children. (Apparently I look scary with a beard and "Mommy and Daddy shows" are not fair...good points.). I don't mind learning from others, even if they are much younger than I am. A few days ago I came across the work of Lila Rose, a 20 year old student at UCLA. Ms. Rose is a pro-life activist and the president of Live Action Films, a youth led human rights movement dedicated to the respect and protection of all human life including the unborn. She began this type of work as an assignment in high school, and she continues it with her organization.

Ms. Rose has made many headlines in recent years because of her undercover investigative journalism which has exposed many flaws in the system, specifically with Planned Parenthood. In her most recent video, Ms. Rose shows the willingness of a Planned Parenthood employee to ignore state laws which require the notification of authorities in the case of statutory rape. Posing as a 13 year old girl, Ms. Rose captures the entire incident on tape. I was shocked to learn that this organization receives over 300 million dollars a year in Federal funding. 

Her voice is being heard.

I contacted Lila after seeing her videos. I wanted to know if she ever speaks to young people about her work and her beliefs. After a 5 minute phone call I was blown away by the passion and knowledge that she possesses for her cause. I was also further aware that media is no longer in the control of the large institutions. Because of technology and the internet, it is moving into the hands of those that are the hungriest. 

Lila Rose has not only helped polarized my beliefs on this issue. She has reminded me what it means to stand for truth without fear. Christ stood for truth without fear. A peaceful, passionate voice that spoke truth to the world. He lived without fear. In John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me". In John 6:35 Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty". Not exactly playing it safe. Jesus spoke truth so loudly that the book of John goes on to tell us that many of His disciples turned away and followed Him no more. I hope I live the same way...without concern for what others will think about truth. Let us not concern ourselves with who will leave us if we speak truth, but who will be set free when they hear it.

Thank you Lila. 

I'll end by quoting John 4:18. "No fear exists where his love is. Rather, perfect love gets rid of fear, because fear involves punishment. The person who lives in fear doesn't have perfect love".

1 comment:

Cassie said...

I just can't get her out of my head. I showed Annie her undercover videos last night. Lila Rose is so young, yet she's doing something so important.

I was really happy to see on her website recently that the Indiana attorney general is now investigating Planned Parenthood because of The Mona Lisa project. I guess they can't prosecute the PP counselors in the video since no REAL crime was perpetrated due to Lila not really being 13 and pregnant, but still... hopefully the state will look into it and some things will change.

Btw did you know that the founder of PP was a eugenicist and she believed that abortions were good for establishing the purity of the white race?!?!? CRAZY. And pro-choicers champion this organization and our federal government gives it $300 million a year!